Abstract Title:

An assessment of the risk factors for vitamin D deficiency using a decision tree model.

Abstract Source:

Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2019 May - Jun;13(3):1773-1777. Epub 2019 Mar 17. PMID: 31235093

Abstract Author(s):

Kayhan Gonoodi, Maryam Tayefi, Maryam Saberi-Karimian, Alireza Amirabadi Zadeh, Susan Darroudi, Seyed Kazem Farahmand, Zahra Abasalti, Alireza Moslem, Mohsen Nematy, Gordon A Ferns, Saeid Eslami, Majid Ghayour Mobarhan

Article Affiliation:

Kayhan Gonoodi


BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Vitamin D (25-hydroxyvitamin D or 25OHD) has a key role in the pathogenesis of several chronic disorders. Vitamin D deficiency is a common global public health problem. We aimed to evaluate the risk factors associated with vitamin D deficiency using a decision tree algorithm.

METHODS: A total of 988 adolescent girls, aged 12-18 years old, were recruited to the study. Demographic characteristics, serum biochemical factors, all blood count parameters and trace elements such as Zinc, Copper, Calcium and SOD were measured. Serum levels of vitamin D below 20 ng/ml were considered to be deficiency. 70% of these girls (618 cases) were randomly allocated to a training dataset for the constructing of the decision-tree. The remaining 30% (285 cases) were used as the testing dataset to evaluate the performance of decision-tree. In this model, 14 input variables were included: age, academic attainment of their father, waist circumference, waist to hip ratio, zinc, copper, calcium, SOD, FBG, HDL-C, RBC, MCV, MCHC, HCT. The validation of the model was assessed by constructing a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve.

RESULTS: The results showed that serum Zn concentration was the most important associated risk factor for vitamin D deficiency. The sensitivity, specificity, accuracy and the area under the ROC curve (AUC) values were 79.3%, 64%, 77.8% and 0.72 respectively using the testing dataset.

CONCLUSIONS: The results suggest that the serum levels of Zn is an important associated risk factor for identifying subjects with vitamin D deficiency among Iranian adolescent girls.

Study Type : Human Study

Print Options

Key Research Topics

Sayer Ji
Founder of GreenMedInfo.com

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2021 GreenMedInfo.com, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.